The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Calling txfsealord/Steve Lord

Chat and Questions on Wheels, Tyres & Hubcaps.
knottyknitter

Calling txfsealord/Steve Lord

Post by knottyknitter » Wed, 20 May 2009, 11:32 am

Hi Steve

Hope you & Rosemary are keeping well.

I'm at that stage in the year when I'm dusting off the Ansfold ready for the summer and, as you might remember, I have illegal tyres on mine *gasp*

You were incredibly helpful at Wroughton and wrote down a very detailed note of what I needed that, not surprisingly, I have managed to store in a safe place/lose.

Could you once again give me the benefit of you knowledge and advise me on what I need?

TBH I am tempted to replace the wheels wholesale and be done with it as it is all in bad condition. If I have time I'll post some pics. later for discussion/advice.

Also, the set of hubcaps I got off Ebay didn't fit. Worth a go but sadly not suitable for my old girl. Any new ideas there? If I got new wheels could I solve the hubcap problem too?

Many thanks in advance - and to anyone else who wants to jump in with any suggestions. All gratefully received.

txfsealord

Wheels & Tyres

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 22 May 2009, 6:55 pm

Hi Laura,

Sorry I've taken so long to reply to this - Matt e-mailed me & told me to look at it.

Wheels & tyres! I've learnt quite a lot more about Port/Ans wheels since Wroughton! Now, if your present wheels have the pressed-in 'bumps' round the rim to locate the hubcaps, they are Mini wheels, with part nos. such as 21A2744 or 21A881 stamped into the centre boss, there are other numbers as well. These are NOT the same as the correct Portafold/Ansfold ones. Port/Ans ones have what looks like 3 round, flat rivets on their faces which the hubcaps clip over. As far as I can tell, they are UNIQUE to the Rubery Owen axle used on our caravans & small boat-trailers, etc. The correct hubcaps for our vans, like the batch Matt recently had made, don't fit Mini wheels very well as the diameter of the hubcap mounting-ring is bigger on Mini wheels than on Rubery Owen's. The offset (distance from the mounting-face to the outer rim of the wheel) on Rubery Owen wheels is more than on Minis, & some (not all) Mini wheels cause the tyre's inner sidewall to rub on the end of our axle.

So, if your present wheels have the 3 rivets to locate the hubcap, KEEP THEM, they're rare! Or, if you must replace them, sell them to me 'cos mine are wrong!

Tyres. You must use radial-ply tyres on the caravan to comply with Construction & Use regulations in this country UNLESS your tow-car has crossplies on it, this is the only time crossplies on the caravan would be legal. As you use a modern car to tow with, you need 145 x 10 radials. These are available in 4-ply or 8-ply construction. 4-plies are cheaper. They have a higher speed rating, as the fewer plies make for less heat build-up in a more easily-flexed casing. They have a lower load-carrying capacity than 8-ply tyres. On a normal Portafold or Ansfold, 4-plies are quite adequate for the van's weight, even fully-loaded with awnings, food, children's toys etc. On my van, because of its modifications & extras, I found its weight approached the recommended maximum for 4-ply so I use 8-ply, but you don't need these on yours.

Hubcaps; I'll speak you you at Wroughton re those, if that's OK.

Sorry to be so wordy, I don't have the gift of facile explanations I'm afraid. I look forward to seeing you at Wroughton again!

Steve

knottyknitter

Post by knottyknitter » Sun, 24 May 2009, 3:46 pm

Hi Steve

Thank you so much for all that incredibly useful info.

Sadly we can't make it to Wroughton this year as it clashes with a family reunion party that same weekend. I'm a bit :cry: about it as I have a feeling it is going to be a great one this year and it would be stunning to see all the Porta/Ansfolds together ... ah well.

Haven't had time to take pics this weekend as we've had impromptu guests but when I get around to it I'd welcome your thoughts.

Best wishes

Laura