The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Spring clean

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
Snorbs

Spring clean

Post by Snorbs » Sat, 10 Mar 2007, 7:05 pm

Decided to give the Portafold a spring clean today,its been in the garage since November shut up. When we opened it up we found out it's gone a bit mouldy :roll:

At least the cushions and everything else was ok, just needed cleaning. Since we last painted it 5 years ago thought it might be time for a colour change as well, one coat done today, another tommorrow :shock:

Admin

Post by Admin » Sat, 10 Mar 2007, 9:21 pm

What shade of yellow did you say that was?

and you're not allowed to use the language you used earlier :lol:
Last edited by Admin on Mon, 18 May 2009, 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Sara

Cleaning quilting

Post by Sara » Sat, 10 Mar 2007, 9:52 pm

Just to re-assure people who have just erected their Portafold (or Ansfold) after a long winter lay-up and found that their interior quilting is now covered in meldew, all is not lost.

This mould and dirt is not just a winters worth though, this is years of grime, but it is a good advert for keeping your original quilting in favour of something else.

Armed with a toothbrush, some AutoSmart fabric cleaner and a lot of arm ache, your quilting can look as good as new.

An example of our 'after' and 'before':
Quilting 1.JPG

Snorbs

Post by Snorbs » Sat, 10 Mar 2007, 9:55 pm

The proper name is lemon ice, bathroom / kitchen emulsion (it was left over from our kitchen), but i prefer the other name for it.

petman

Post by petman » Mon, 12 Mar 2007, 1:51 pm

looks like mine was glossed in the past, looks OK but would like to change the colour. any suggestions on what to use

Admin

Post by Admin » Mon, 12 Mar 2007, 1:57 pm

Although it's still undecided on what paint to use on the outside, the general consensus for the paint to use on the inside is a good quality kitchen and bathroom paint that resists mildew.

Hopefully it will reduce the amount of work needed come spring time.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.

Admin

Post by Admin » Mon, 11 Jun 2007, 9:04 am

Just put our portafold up for the first time after painting the inside and found that even though we used good quality mould resistant paint, for the next couple of hours I will be cleaning mould off the inside! At least we have room in our garage at last to store it this coming winter, hope that will prevent it from going as mouldy.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk

txfsealord

Painting the inside

Post by txfsealord » Mon, 18 Jun 2007, 7:31 pm

I haven't got as far as actual decorating yet, but I have got to put something on bare wooden surfaces of furniture I've made. I suppose I ought to use yacht varnish for this, but it takes a long time to brush on & even longer to dry between coats. So I'm trying car body lacquer in aerosol form (it's used to deepen the shine on metallic paintwork, called clear-over-base) the aerosols are sold by all car accessory shops. They don't go far as the plywood mops it up like a sponge, but it's fantastic quick & I'm in a hell of a hurry! It'll be most interesting to see how it withstands use/damp/heat etc. I think it's acrylic base these days (always used to be cellulose, dear ole stuff I loved it) but hey, it stands up to outside year-round weather on cars OK.

So next question, why can't we use car paint, with suitable fibreglas primer, inside our vans?