The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Quilting how to...

Any questions about maintenance or the restoration of your Portafold or Ansfold.
kla89

Quilting how to...

Post by kla89 » Thu, 19 Sep 2013, 2:31 pm

Hi All,

We have a portafold but its in need of some serious TLC! Were in two minds- do we fix her up and keep her or do we sell her to someone as she is...
So..
I've pondered over a few ideas on how to line her, she is currently just painted inside, but that's all flakey and horrible!
I've seen from a lot of yours that they have been lined.. whats the pro's and cons of this?
IF I was to quilt her would I need to worry about condensation and it going mouldy?
How do you secure it? ive thought about spray glue, or maybe even Velcro so I can take it all off and wash it?!?
Is this fairly easy to line? I've never tried my hand at this, although I am pretty creative, have a dad that does car body work for a living and a mum that's totally amazing on a sewing machine... im sure I can call a few favours in from them! :thumbup:
Any guidance would be amazing!

vforbes

Re: Quilting how to...

Post by vforbes » Fri, 20 Sep 2013, 12:08 pm

Hi! I too am a new Portafold owner. I haven't tried this yet, but I have gleaned a lot of info from this wonderful site. I went on the Wooleys upholstery website and found out what make of high temperatue spray glue they use. Then I bought loads of tins on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIMFIX-heavy ... _667wt_904

It does vehicle upholstery and headling so should work well. But, you really should wash off/scrape off the old paint and make sure the surface is clean so it has the best chance of adhering.

Also, i am going to use carpet instead of quilting - my old campervan was carpeted on the sides and roof and it was so warm and cosy, we never had condensation and we never got cold, even on a trip to Sweden! So that's the way we are going, but I met another owner at the weekend who had used those plasticy quilted tablecloths as his sides, and it looked very authentic. Though he had used Vinyl on his roof and it still condensated, but he said he didn't mind as it was easier to clean that way. I didn't want quilting as I'm not worried about originality and I don't really like it too much. I pulled my quilting off the sides of my 'Fold and found loads of spiders, mould and mummified flies, so I'm glad I pulled it off and cleaned behind there before I attach my carpet.

Different strokes for different folks but you should definately have a go at restoring it as a winter project. Good luck!

Admin

Re: Quilting how to...

Post by Admin » Fri, 20 Sep 2013, 12:55 pm

Here are some mentions about Veltrim which seems one of the best ways to go with wall lining:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=559

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=535

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=204

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=558

I'm even tempted to line my walls below my shelf line, after a very wet condensation covered wall weekend at Goodwood last weekend!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!