The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Lighting

Anything you've created that didn't come out of the factory.
Microhurtz

Lighting

Post by Microhurtz » Thu, 04 Jun 2015, 8:57 pm

Nothing makes the mood of a space more than lighting. Someone said that. Might have been me, of course. The Portafold gives special challenges. The usual halogen spots would probably get knocked off when folding the caravan down. I decided to install some recessed downlighters.
There is space in the fins and also in the front centre to install small downlighters but these MUST be LED types as anything else will create heat and set fire to your pride and joy. I got some 12V LED downlighters from B&Q for under a tenner each with chrome bezels. They also tilt. They are only 4.8W but that's like 40W of halogen.

The picture isn't great but I hope you can see the fillets of ply in the recesses with a hole for the downlighter and another for the switch
1 gluing veltrim.jpg
This also meant that I had a flatter surface to fasten the veltrim headlining to. I laid the wiring in and tagged it with hot melt glue. Once it was glued, I cut through the veltrim to expose the holes and inserted the lights and switches,
The end result looked quite tidy for my handiwork
2 veltrim and lights.jpg
3 WP_001299.jpg
Obviously, the wiring has to allow for the walls being folded. I brought the wiring out of the roof at the back corner and used a 1/4" jack to make the connection. At least this stands a chance of self disconnecting if I forget and start folding....
And when switched on they are more than adequate. Don't look at the finish on the wall; I haven't done that bit yet!
4 WP_001298.jpg
Jeremy.