The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

Just bought this

Pictures of your Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel.
Michael

Just bought this

Post by Michael » Sat, 21 Mar 2009, 5:38 pm

Hi I have just bought a Portafold and I'm looking forward to some comfort at Rod Runs this year. It needs some tidying up but could be used as is.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Cheers
Mick

txfsealord

Your Portafold

Post by txfsealord » Sun, 22 Mar 2009, 6:54 pm

Hi Michael,

Does your Porty have 12" wheels?

I seem to have become the site 'wheel-anorak', I'm finding it very interesting, which rims the Rubery Owen company supplied with its axles.

Steve Lord

Michael

Post by Michael » Sun, 22 Mar 2009, 11:42 pm

Hi Steve, Yes it does have 12 " wheels which I read in one brochure came fitted as standard.
Here are some more pictures of the van on my webshots album.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/5706204 ... host=rides

Cheers
Mick

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 10:33 pm

Hello,

Are the 12" wheels Mini wheels? If so, are they from an early Mini or a Morris Minor?

Fraser

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 10:37 pm

Sorry, I have no idea. Is there a way to check? and I'll have a look tomorrow.

cheers Mick

vauxhallbitz

Post by vauxhallbitz » Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 10:59 pm

Hello Mick,

Thanks for that, I don't know is the short answer but hopefully someone will read this and enlighten us. I think the 12" wheels look better proportion wise as the 10" are just a bit too small for the wheel arches.

Will you be taking your van to the Nationals in July?

Fraser.

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu, 26 Mar 2009, 11:21 pm

Yes I'll be at the Supernats. I'll probably go to the Spring Nats at Drayton Manor and NASC Nationals at Ipswich as well as some smaller runs nearer home. Don't know about Billing yet as the site is a mess if its wet and too open to public. I'll be taking my Portafold to them all.

Cheers

P.S. If I find anything out about the wheels I'll post on here.

txfsealord

12" wheels

Post by txfsealord » Fri, 27 Mar 2009, 7:56 pm

Hi all, I think the 12" wheels used on the early Portafolds were specially made by Rubery Owen, unfortunately. Certainly the 10" wheels are Rubery's own. Mini wheels have different offset, although they can be used - I have 'em on mine.

With the 12" size, the only car-type with the correct stud pcd would be Hillman Imp. These have more offset than the Rubery ones, so they'd clear the axle ends. Only late Minis had 12" wheels, with very little offset to them & I'm pretty sure they wouldn't clear the axle without quite a thick spacer. Minor wheels are 14". Austin A35s & A40s are 13".

Hope this helps

Steve Lord

Admin

Post by Admin » Fri, 27 Mar 2009, 10:11 pm

I bow to Steve's far superior knowledge on wheels, but one thing I have found out is that Rubery Owen didn't just concentrate on making the trailer chassis running gear that our Portafolds use.

They also produced steel wheels on quite a big basis. Apparently the 13" 5.5J steel wheels (that currently adorn my Ford Anglia) and are known commonly as Lotus steels, were made by none other than...Rubery Owen Ltd.
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

txfsealord

Rubery Owen

Post by txfsealord » Sat, 28 Mar 2009, 7:44 pm

Oh, not half! Rubery Owen were a huge engineering company, making every kind of steering, transmission, chassis running gear for a great many British cars, as well as a vast range of engineering products for industry generally. They built most of the V16 BRM.....

Steve Lord