The 15th International Portafold & Ansfold Gathering) (i.e. 2024)

Our annual gathering will be returning to the Newbury Retrofestival.

So put the dates 9th, 10th & 11th of August 2024 in your diary now and get those dates booked off work early.

Show Address: Newbury Showground, Priors Court, Hermitage, Thatcham, West Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Don't book direct with the show organisers it will cost you more money, just contact me (07771544419) to get your pitch saved.

New Ownership

Pictures of your Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel.
Minimeandmyself

New Ownership

Post by Minimeandmyself » Thu, 10 May 2012, 8:50 pm

Hello Everyone. I'm Richard, and i'm an Alcoholic. Oh wait, this isn't Monday night is it?

I've recently come to procure a Portafold from a well known auction site, as advertised by Matthew.

What was the first thing i did when the guy delivered it (nice guy too, delivered it FOC)? Clean it! It looked like it had been standing for a while and sure enough, interrogation revealed that it had stood since easter so i doubt it had been cleaned much before that either.
CIMG2227.jpg
CIMG2225.jpg
After a good thorough examination, i started to notice various brackets missing, and areas that would benefit from improvement (to keep the neighbours happy!!). I had a crack at some of these today, prompted by a strong gust of wind whilst putting the roof up, which inevitably caused me to drop it and knock the ali bracket off! Now was a good time to look at those!! The brakes, bearings and suspension are all ok. It actually looks quite tidy when its clean.

To say that pink isn't my favourite colour would probably be a little obvious with a username such as mine, so the next thing to go is the seating. The reasons for this are numerous. Firmer foam will allow for more sleep, and replacing as much of the upholstery will 'refresh' the van in so many ways. I've discovered that i have sewing machine skills, and knocked out six cushion covers for the cushions left in the van in a couple of hours, using some fabric and a pair of union jack flags.

Next is to get the foam before next weekend, and make the covers for those, and some curtains, followed swiftly by a custom cover to protect it from the sap off the trees when stored.

The handles, hinges and jacks will all eventually be removed, sandblasted and powdercoated (i've got these tools so its easy to do) which will tidy the van up even more.

Admin

Re: New Ownership

Post by Admin » Fri, 11 May 2012, 9:03 am

Minimeandmyself wrote:...followed swiftly by a custom cover to protect it from the sap off the trees when stored.
Don't forget there's a very good custom cover available through me...

http://www.portafold.co.uk/parts_and_sp ... cover.html
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Ambubird

Post by Ambubird » Fri, 11 May 2012, 8:12 pm

Hi Richard, welcome to the forum.
You've got a nice, clean Portafold there, not to much to do by the looks of it :thumbup:

What is your towing vehicle toy? Looks a bit like a Lotus but it's not.....

Good sewing skills! When you get your foam get some good quality high density stuff, but don't try & squeeze in more than 2 inches or you won't be able to fold the van up!

Keep the pictures coming, love seeing what everyone else is doing!

Debs

Admin

Post by Admin » Sat, 12 May 2012, 2:00 pm

Ambubird wrote:...but don't try & squeeze in more than 2 inches or you won't be able to fold the van up!
Good advice, I know of a couple of people that have decided 3 inches would give them a better nights sleep, not realising that they won't fit into the walls pockets!
Matthew
portafold.co.uk
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wanted: Any original Portafold, Ansfold or Mini-Motel brochures, adverts or magazine articles.
Also, any chassis numbers for the above caravans!

Minimeandmyself

Post by Minimeandmyself » Sun, 13 May 2012, 9:46 am

Yes, I already realise that, and if anything is being replaced, the dimensions are to be as OE designed, or as close as possible. I've actually started to use the original foam, keeping the original covering underneath also.

I've been out in it all weekend, and last night was particularly cold!! I think an Eberspacher heater is on the cards very soon!! All in all though, quite a comfortable weekend stay. Certainy not as stressful as a tent, but requires an equal amount of discipline and tidiness. The good thing is as well, is that my fishing gear fitted under the seats, though I must remember to take out the old bait when I get home.....